Learn how to resize (enlarge or reduce) and print a pattern, stencil, template, or image that is the exact size you want. Great for scroll saw patterns and state outlines. This article also covers tile printing (printing an image that is larger than a standard sheet of paper). This document covers the following file formats and applications.
- PNG and JPG Format
- SVG (Scalable Vector Graphic) Format
- 6. How to Print and Resize SVG Files – with video
1. Microsoft Excel – How to resize, scale patterns consistently, and tile printing.
First open a new blank Microsoft Excel workbook.
1. Select “Insert”. (SEE images below.)
2. Press “Pictures”.
3. Select the desired pattern or image.
4. Press “Link to File”. NOTE: If you wish to scale multiple patterns consistently, make sure to select “Link to File” and NOT “Insert”.
To print a single pattern or image.
5. Resize the image by selecting and dragging the resize handle.
6. Zoom out if necessary.
To print multiple patterns or images scaled consistently. See Video.
7. Right Click on the image.
8. Select “Size and Properties.”
9. Enter value for “Scale Height”. Make sure to scale all patterns consistently.
The following video shows you how to resize, scale, and print patterns. For example, these instructions can be used for the State Quilt Patterns which can be quilted, combined, or joined together to create a map of the United States.
2. Microsoft Paint – How to print an image (e.g., scroll saw pattern) on multiple pages.
1. Press “File” and then select “OPEN” to open the image.
2. Zoom out (optional) to view the entire image.
3. Press “File”.
4. Place your cursor on “Print” and three options will appear.
5. Select the option “Page setup”
6. Specify the pages to “Fit to:”
In the example below, the values 2 by 2 were entered.
3. Google Chrome (browser) – How to scale/print a pattern or image.
When printing a pattern or image with Google Chrome, simply change the value of “Scale” as shown in red below.
4. Firefox (browser) – How to scale/print a pattern or image.
1. Press the “Settings” icon.
2. Select the option “Print”.
3. Specify the “Scale”.
4. Optionally select either “Portrait” or “Landscape”.
5. Then press the “Print” button.
5. Microsoft Edge (browser) – How to scale/print a pattern or image.
When printing a pattern or image with Microsoft Edge, simply change the value of “Scale” as shown in red below.
6. How to Print SVG Files.
The easiest way to print SVG (Scalable Vector Graphic) files is to view and print them directly using a web browser (Chrome, Safari, FireFox, Edge, or Internet Explorer). Simply “Right” click on the SVG image and then select “Open image in new tab”. Once opened in a new tab, resize and print the image using either Step 3, 4 or 5 above.
The video below covers resizing and printing SVG images using Google Chrome, Adobe Photoshop, and Inkscape.
You can also save SVG files to your computer or mobile device. Once saved, you can then open these files using a web browser and print them.
Looking for Patterns, Stencils, Clip Art Design?US State Maps contains outlines, stencils, and patterns of all 50 US states. Alphabet and Number Stencils includes characters and letters that can be combined to create Word Art designs. Scroll Saw Patterns is full of beginner and intermediate scroll saw patterns. Religious and Christian Patterns includes inspirational clip art designs and scroll saw patterns. Chess Pieces - provides patterns to create you own chess pieces.
If creating projects using wood, you might also want to check out Band Saw tips, String Art projects, and Scroll Saw Tips.